Winter 2008
Features
Home work
9 things to do at TCU in '09
Departments
Alma Matters
Letters
Academe
Mem´ries Sweet
Riff Ram
AlumNews
Notables
Back Cover
Recollections
Comrades True
Back Issues


TCU Magazine

Related Articles:
We don't shhhhhhh anymore | Something about Mary | Special Collections: Cool stuff you probably didn't know was in the library


Through the years

Highlights of the Mary Couts Burnett Library


1873 - AddRan Male and Female College established

1874 - Literary societies formed to collect books

1877 - Gift of 300 books by Maj. John T. Walton to Walton Literary Society

1892 - Edwin J. Toof donates 1,045 volumes, enough to establish a library

1910 - Library Association formed; a month later, fire destroys Waco campus building and all but a handful of the libraryŐs 8,000 books are lost

1912 - Library established in Reed Hall on new Fort Worth campus; 4,000 books spill out of space within a few years

1923 - Mary Couts Burnett gifts $3 million; part of it is used to build the library, which was the first building on the east campus

1955 - William Luther collection of 1,500 tomes donated

1959 - West wing added; holdings number 330,000

1963 - Sunday hours established

1964 - Holdings pass half-million mark

1970 - Computerized circulation system installed

1983 - East wing with new entrance added

2001 - Bistro Burnett and expanded computer lab added

2002 - Information Commons established as holdings soar past 2 million.

Top